Did you watch a session with staff members or colleagues? Or maybe you will watch a session recording as a staff? Let's keep the conversations going!
Here are some follow-up questions that you can discuss as a group.
Sustainable Thinking For the Future of Libraries
- Which of the Core Values of Librarianship resonate with you personally? Why?
- What does your library already do that falls under the definition of sustainability that we discussed today?
- What does it look like when a community is healthy?
How to Go the Extra Mile (When You’re Running on Empty)
- What tasks on your current "to do" list might be able to be handled by someone else?
- On your self-assessment, which areas are you most in need of improvement?
Group discuss action items to achieve these goals.
Staying Well @ Your Library
- What things can we do as a library to help prevent burnout in ourselves?
- What can I do as a Library Director/Department Head to prevent burnout in my staff?
- What small thing can you to do have fun in your workplace?
Teaching Patrons to be Successful in the Library
- What are better ways our library could manage its environment so patrons can be successful?
- What kind of training does our staff need to encourage patron success, and what is a priority?
People Have the Power
- What immediate steps can you take to help make your organization healthier?
- What measurable goals can you use to show that your library is moving towards being a healthier place?
- What can you do to empower your direct reports, peers and supervisor?
Web Trends to Watch in 2017
- Is our website in need of a refresh? And if so, when are we going to start?
- What was the most interesting web design trend, and why?
- Can we implement one or more of these emerging design trends? Will it help our customers better navigate
the library's website?
Absolutely Free (and Practically Unknown) Online Tools You Didn’t Know You Needed
- Which of these tools caught your attention right away as something you would use?
- What tool(s) do you use in your regular work, that might be useful to others?
Dream Big, Learn Code
- What are some organizations in your community that are currently offering coding programs? Can you partner with them? If you don't know of any, investigate!
- How could you incorporate coding into your programming? What department/staff/scope would this look like?
Maker Space Discussion
- What ideas did you hear in the discussion could you incorporate into your library?
The Idea Studio: More Than Just a Makerspace
- What aspects of the Idea Studio could you incorporate at your library in the next 6 months?
- What are the biggest hurdles to introducing a creative/makerspace at your library?
Talking to Teens About Books
- What adult books have you successfully suggested to a teen reader?
- What books have you read recently that you think would be good for teen readers?
Planning & Evaluating Programs & Services for Youth
- What might your library need to do to be more intentional in program planning: a program audit, a gaps analysis, and/or creating programming benchmarks?
- What are your goals for reporting on programming at your institution? What strategies do you have in place to support those goals?
Service Meets Design: How the Boston Public Library Designed...
- If you were able to design your dream library space for children, what would your Wow Factors look like?
- Are there creative ways you can bring those big ideas into your current space?
Implementing Core Competencies for Your Library Staff
- What are the most important things for front line staff to know about the technical offerings at your library?
- Does your library include competencies as part of the organizational culture and policy? How, or why not?
On My Honor: Creating an Ethical Work Environment
- What are some ways that you can personally model an ethical work style at your library?
- What characteristics do you look in a leader/as a leader that most reflect an ethical approach to work?
You Can Do It: Coaching and Disciplining Library Employees
- What should I do if my boss isn't dealing with our problem employees, who make everyone else's lives miserable?
- I'm really nervous about giving negative feedback in a meeting to one of my employees. Any tips on how to prepare?
Small, But Mighty
Library Maintenance DIY
- What are some easy and low-cost ways our library could improve its appearance in the next 3 months?
The Myth of a Work-Life Balance for a Small Library Director
-Which organizational tools help keep you sane?
-On the subject of cross training, what tasks are important for multiple staff people to know how to perform? Do you have a
great training manual, template or list you're willing to share?
-How are you professionally awesome? What session should you pitch for WAPL or WLA?
-What's a little thing you do for yourself that makes you feel like you're keeping it together?
-What's something you kind of want to explore that might help you enjoy your downtime more? Or something your closest
friends keep telling you to check out?
Dealing with Challenging Patrons: Safety and Security in Our Libraries
-Are you satisfied with the police or sheriffs' response to your library? If not, What are steps your staff can take to create better responses?
-Do you have an existing relationship with your local mental health services or homeless outreach services?" If not, how
do you create relationships with these groups to better your library security?